D. B. SMITH
P.O. Box 111193
Memphis, TN. 38111-1193
(901) 672-8825 (H) TEAM PLAYER LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT TEAM
OBJECTIVES: To obtain a challenging position where my work experience will have a valuable application.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
· A self-starter with strong organizational, communication, and management skills.
· Possesses broad knowledge of Microsoft Office software products, including Outlook, Access, Word, Excel, Power Point, and QuickBooks.
· Proficient at word processing, typing, bookkeeping, entry level accounting, payroll, GL, A/P, A/R, computer usage, spreadsheets, and office management.
· Possesses extensive knowledge of business and tax law, and preparation and analysis of financial statements.
· Capable of functioning well within and managing any business or office environment and interacting in a civil and efficient way with supervisors and subordinates.
âˆ™ Over 20 years experience in managing residential rental property in western Tennessee.
· 03-17-2012—Present. Freelance author, editor, journalist, and poet.
· 12-08-2011—March, 2012. Copy Editor, Weir Enterprises, 6027 Walnut Grove Rd., Memphis, TN 38120 [Copy editing and line editing creative and professional manuscripts for authors. Resulted in two of client’s novel manuscripts being accepted for marketing by nationally recognized literary agent.]
· 2007-2011. Freelance author, journalist, and poet. [Over 100 poems, articles, and short stories sold and/or published. Won the Springfield Writers’ Guild Grand Prize for Fiction in 2010 and 2012.]
· 2001-2007 Office Manager, Law Offices of D. Beecher Smith, II [Managed staff of 3 support personnel, handled extensive legal research and tax compliance, bookkeeping (A/P & A/R, & Gen. Ledger).]
· 1990-2001 Rice, Smith, Bursi, Veazey, & Amundsen, PLLC [Firm member, managing probate, estate, and tax department. Elevated firm to top 10 probate status in Memphis.]
· 1982-1990 Law Offices of Beaty & Smith [managed probate, estate planning, & tax department]
· 1974-1982 Glankler Brown PLLC [started as entry level associate and became senior associate in tax department]
SUMMARY: 33 years experience in office management, entry level accounting, bookkeeping, customer service, client relations, administration, collections, and general business. Reconciled court accountings, office ledgers, accounts payable, accounts receivable. Prepared pleadings, court accountings, legal briefs, wills, trusts, corporate charters, contracts, corporate, fiduciary, and individual income, estate, and gift tax returns, and numerous other legal documents. Managed extensive compliance practice before the Internal Revenue Service, both return preparation and representation at audit and appellate levels. Obtained I.R.S. approval of tax exempt charitable status for numerous charities and foundations.
· Juris Doctor University of Tennessee (1974)
· Bachelor of Arts: Millsaps College. (1971)
• Cadd Drafting Certificate: Texarkana Community College (2010)
âˆ™ Central High School Memphis, TN (1967)
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:
· National Honor Society (1966)
· Dean’s List (1969-71)
· Winner Grand Prize Fiction Contest, Springfield Writers’ Guild 2010 & 2012
- Winner First Place Humorous Poetry, Chicagoland Poets & Patrons 2012 Contest
Fletcher E. Haaga, V.P. Comerica Bank, Memphis, Tennessee
Hon. Robert Benham, Judge Division One, Probate Court of Shelby County, TN
L. Allen Exelbierd, CPA
David Blaylock, Attorney at Law
Olen M. (“Mack”) Bailey, Attorney at Law
Alva B. Weir, III, M.D. (901) 351-3673
(Telephone numbers of others available upon request.)